Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A week's races...

Andrew Johnson ran the Michelmores 5K on Wednesday night. This is a difficult course, with lots of turns and a couple of nasty short rises, so he was quite pleased with his time of 20:44. (And according to his Garmin, it was a little long!) He was 35th (in the under 50 category - 39th overall), after losing a few places on the descent to the entrance to the Imperial.

Then Andrew travelled to Plymouth on Saturday for the Saltram 5K. He reports, "legs felt like lead after Wednesday and wandering round the house and garden during the afternoon. The course takes you downhill for about a mile before the stretch along the river and then the final long drag and I was quite pleased about how I managed to hold onto a decent pace until the final, steeper climb near the finish. My official time has me at 20:00 but I ran 19:59 on my watch - so I was just on my sub-20! 39th overall - I was on my own after turning away from the river, so I had no help at all on the hardest part of the course".
.
Three Exmouth Harriers competed in the Killerton Kanter cross country race. Phil Bater was 59th in 52:43, Jim Wyatt was 1st V65 and 66th overall in 54:12 and Terry Oldham was 71st in 55:11. Peter Monaghan of Torbay A C was the winner in 37:48 and there were 147 finishers.
.
The Ruby Run Half Marathon at Holsworthy was won by Peter Hockin in 1:16:15. Harrier Cathy Newman was 1st lady and 6th overall in 1:27:47 and Peter McKeown was 24th in 1:38:48, out of the field of 150 runners.

No comments: