Monday, February 21, 2011

Plymouth Hoe '10'


One of the largest races in Devon in the calendar... and the Devon AA 10-mile Championship too... yet I was the lone Harrier there in a field of around 600.


With the Bath Half Marathon coming up on the 6th March, I went into the race determined NOT to run too fast... to treat it as a stepping stone and therefore to run what I call 'tempo pace' (saving it on the hills, and pushing on down them). In any case NOT to damage myself!

In the end it went very well... reasonably fast (for a MV/65 - 70:02) on a difficult (as it turned out) course. The leaders went the wrong way in mile 3, and ran around three-quarters of a mile too far -- that is apart from the actual winner (Kairn Stone - 51:16) himself.

Makes me glad that I had learned the new course from the course maps (as obviously did he). The stewards and signage were at fault... but as they say, learn the course before the race! I ran (for the first time in a race) in training shoes with no watch -- as I did not wish to 'push the envelope', and was rather surprised to run just 2 seconds over 70 minutes. I'd have accepted that before the start!

1st V/65 (by nearly 13 minutes) and 2nd V/60 too. Now for a recovery week before the final Exeter Arena 3k next Monday (28th), and the trip to Bath the Sunday afterwards.

(RR)

No comments: