Thursday, August 04, 2005

Pewsey 5 - Wednesday 3rd August



A long way to travel (by train!), but I had been seeking a five-mile race for a while and it was the only one within reach. Pewsey is halfway to London on the Paddington line, so an easy trip both to and from.

The race is of long-standing, but as they said to me... not flat! Actually it was a typical undulating circuit of the lanes around the town; not unlike parts of Devon. The first two miles having some climbs, and the last three a bit quicker, but with a (very) twisty half-mile at both start and finish.

I managed 30:02 for 9th in the field, and had the pleasure of breaking the course record for a Vet/60 -- previously held by Bruce Tulloh - 30:04 in 1996. As you can imagine I was pretty happy with that on such a course, but a very close run thing; I even managed a sprint at the end with my eyes on the clock (and I can't sprint for toffees); experiencing the reason we all run at the end -- relief and joy!

 Posted by Picasa

No comments: