Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Portreeve Challenge - Tuesday 28th June



My fears of a PW were unfounded... but only because the deluge shortly before we arrived in Ashburton - there were fire engines clearing out a flood that had just run down the main street! Forced us off the traditional course.

After a long delay, it was announced that the Portreeve's Challenge would be replaced by two laps of the fun run. I had a word with the Cigarette-Smoking-Man, suggesting that two laps was too short and wouldn't it be better to do three. He had a word with young Stephen Waldron and the three of us went off to talk to the organiser - well, I followed a metre behind. After extensive discussions and arguments, the organiser caved in - actually, he agreed immediately. So it was then announced the race would be three laps. (Each lap is about 2.5 miles)

Feeling the pace at the end of the second lap, I regretted my intervention but I hung on to finish 8th (out of 30 to 40) and I felt it went quite well. I ran with C-S-M for the second half mile but couldn't keep pace with him, but I did overtake someone near the end who beat me in the Michelmores race - the first time he had beaten me in years.

Andrew Johnson

 Posted by Hello

No comments: