Monday, May 02, 2005

The triumph of a persistent tortoise


Great West Run - 1st May 2005 (Inc. BMAF Championships)

All week I had been feeling good, with both Osteopath and Doctor giving me no excuses; both agreed that they had not seen me fitter. Dropping out of the London Marathon with the calf strain certainly was wise; it healed in around 3 days. I stood in the start pen with every confidence of a decent run, it was warm (16°) but quite humid. As we walked down to the starting line, I noticed Dave Waywell from Wesham RR just in front of me. Dave (DW) headed the V/60 ranking for 2004 for 10 miles, so I knew that I was in for a real tussle.

Off on time, and Dave shot away like a hare, with me trying not to go too quickly. Even so I ran the first mile in 5:40, with DW a good 20 metres ahead. Up the long hill his lead had grown to 30 metres, and by the 2 mile marker he was around 40 metres to the good. I was concentrating SO hard on not letting him get too far ahead that I had no thought to check my watch or indeed take split times at each mile as I do normally.

I sought to work my way gradually back to him, and once into the town centre (and 5) he did seem to be 'coming back'. Up Blackboy Hill I certainly felt him faltering a bit, and I redoubled my concentration -- a metre here, metre there -- and by 6 he was just 20 metres up. The calves were hanging together well, but the tension in my right hamstring was palpable.

As we passed the Arena to start the second lap, I had him in my sights. Just around 15 metres now and I relaxed a bit, planning in my mind just where on the course I would make my effort to pass. Out to the Exeter By Pass, smiling inwardly and feeling 'in control'. As we turned up the long hill I felt a long cramp spasm in my right hamstring, and to bring it under some control I had to 'chop' my stride up the hill. Rats... at the top he was again 40 metres up, and I was not too sure that I could even finish the race at that pace.

I fought the pain and my doubts all the way through Beacon Heath, but he was slowly gaining on me. I did get a 10 mile time... 62:08 (although I could not see it at the time) DW must have been around 25 seconds ahead of that - to put that into context, those times would have been 7th and 8th in the 10-mile rankings for 2004 (again, I had no inkling of that at the time, I was absolutely flat out, straining all I had to close the dratted gap)!

The rest? The gap slowly grew and I could do nothing about it at all. I was still running 10/10ths, but not making any impact. On the track to finish DW was rounding the final bend, but I sought to raise a sprint to at least see a decent time.

Finished in 1:22:49 (Gun time), but 1:22:46 chip time (86.79%) for, I thought, the silver medal. In the finish funnel a SW-Vets Official told me I had won the gold. But I pointed to DW and said, " 'fraid not... he did".

Two hours later and the (rather ill attended) BMAF Championships prize giving. Hugh, we knew, had the silver in the Vet/45 in 1:18:43 (Gun time). Great to see another Harrier winning an award. I had for some while been talking to DW, comparing notes as one does. Then it came to the Vet/60 awards. Dave might have won the GWR Vet/60 category, but for some reason I still do not understand, I was awarded the BMAF Gold. Someone said that all BMAF entrants had to be a member of their regional Vet Club (in our case SW Vets), and that he was not a member of Northern Vets (Wesham is near Blackpool, Lancs).

I did not quite know how to react, particularly when I was told that my time was a new record, beating Peter Watson's previous SW-Vets Championship Record performance of 1:23:42; apparently such records can only be set in International, National or Regional Championship races.

So I was bemused, disappointed and elated all at the same time.

How does one feel in such circumstances. The tortoise won!?

Still, the medal is wonderful to own!

Roger R.
 Posted by Hello

No comments: